Saturday, February 28, 2009

Is It Cold In Here?

I returned home last night from a late meeting. My family was still awake and enjoying time together. As I took off my coat, I noticed that it was very cold in the house. So I asked, “Why is it so cold in here?” They seemed uninterested as if they hadn’t noticed. The thermostat read fifty- eight degrees. I have programmed the thermostat to go down during certain times of the day, but fifty-eight degrees is cold!

Sure enough, our furnace was not working. But, what I found interesting is my family had been in the house all evening and didn’t seem to notice. However, all of them were dressed for the cold. The children had on fleece footed pajamas and my husband was wearing jogging pants and a fleece shirt. They never consciously acknowledged that it was unusually cold; they simply adapted their behavior to the dropping temperature.

This is the same process that happens in our everyday lives. Our passion for our dreams and ambitions begins to drop a little at a time and we don’t seem to acknowledge it. We adjust our behavior to failing relationships, careers and dreams. Before we know it, we are all bundled up in regret and grief and wondering how we got there. Our challenge is to avoid letting the circumstances of today deter us from our dreams and hopes for the future. One way to do this is to touch your dream everyday! Work on something, even one small part of your dream everyday. If you are starting a business, read over parts of your business plan everyday. Let those special people in your life know how much they mean to you everyday. Checking the temperature on your goals will keep them from growing cold, allowing you to keep the fire hot and make purposeful change when necessary.

####

Copyright © Making a Change LLC 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment